Housing Staff Attorney
SNP seeks applicants for a Housing Staff Attorney. SNP’s Staff Attorneys provide direct legal representation to tenants in landlord-tenant cases, including civil proceedings in NYC Housing Court, affirmative litigation, and New York City Housing Authority (NYCHA) administrative hearings and appeals. We are seeking attorneys who are looking for a creative and non-traditional environment, working with passionate and dedicated professionals in the fight against gentrification, displacement, and racist housing systems.
- Provide legal advice and representation to tenants in eviction proceedings and some affirmative litigation, including non-payment and holdover cases, housing repairs cases, NYCHA administrative proceedings, and group litigation.
- Conduct all aspects of litigation such as pleadings, motion practice, discovery, hearings, and trials, and appeals as needed.
- Conduct legal intake and evaluate clients’ legal needs at SNP’s various legal clinics, Right to Counsel intake days at Bronx Housing Court, and on a citywide Tenant Helpline.
- Provide Know Your Rights education and technical assistance to tenants and community partners on topics related to landlord-tenant law.
- Staff outreach clinics, attend tenants’ association meetings and participate in other work-related events during evening hours from time to time.
- Working across disciplines by collaborating with other attorneys, advocates, and social workers to assess and address client needs.
Applicants must be admitted to practice in New York or have a pending admission to practice in New York, and demonstrate:
- Excellent research, analytical, writing, and oral communication skills
- Applicants with between 0-4 years of litigation experience in landlord-tenant law will be strongly preferred.
- Strong anti-oppression and social justice analysis and lens, including a deep commitment to racial justice and housing justice work.
- Aptitude for tenacious negotiation and advocacy.
- Ability to balance an active caseload and travel between the main office, satellite office, outreach sites, and courts.
- Strong organizational and time-management skills, including flexibility and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work well independently and collaboratively with an interdisciplinary team of lawyers, advocates, and social workers.
- Great interpersonal communication skills and experience working with diverse communities.
- Spanish proficiency is strongly preferred.
Salary and compensation
The salary range for this position is $63,000 – $97,860, an excellent benefits package is offered, with generous vacation, personal, and sick time, along with industry-leading medical and dental coverage. This is a bargaining unit position represented for collective bargaining purposes by the National Organization of Legal Services Workers, UAW, Local 2320.
The Safety Net Project is an equal-opportunity employer. SNP encourages applications from people with diverse backgrounds, including women, people of color, immigrants, people with disabilities, LGBTQ people, people from low-income backgrounds, and people with personal experience with Social Justice and/or the criminal justice system. We strongly encourage applications from people with lived experiences in the communities we serve.
Interested applicants should send a resume and cover letter by e-mail to SNPhiring@urbanjustice.org. The subject line of the email must include: “Housing Attorney Position.” Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. We regret that due to the high volume, we are unable to respond to inquiries and will contact only those candidates selected for consideration. Please do not contact us via telephone or fax.
NEED HELP FINDING COUNSEL?
SNP provides free legal services to low and no income New Yorkers with housing or public benefits issues. Click below for our legal clinic schedules.
We welcome your questions and comments
Main Office40 Rector Street
New York, NY 10006
The Safety Net Project does not conduct client intake at our Rector Street Office. For information about our services and walk-in clinics, check out our legal clinic schedules.